The Director of Research and Development (R&D) will be a critical part of the Conception Nurseries team. You are responsible for directing and implementing an organization's research and development policies, objectives, and initiatives. Ensures research and development activities will maintain an organization's competitive position and profitability. Consults with top management and research and development team and makes recommendations based on research findings and product performance. This position will report to the COO.
Keys to Success in this role include:
- ● Ability to design and develop a product development roadmap with goals and strategies for the business.
- ● Ability to critically think and engineer solutions of the product line to drive business while also enhancing the reputation of Conceptions Nurseries.
- ● Ability to produce and analyze data and synthesize into detailed reports that allows for improved decision making.
Detailed responsibilities to include…
- Work with the executive team to identify areas of growth and additional revenue opportunities while exploiting the existing opportunities related to cannabis tissue culture. Researches and monitors existing client base and industry developments and identifies potential new product opportunities.
- Optimize revenue through analysis of improved methodologies for direct regeneration, and micropropagation.
- Create awareness about the research center among internal/external customers to increase sales of the product.
- Maintain product vision and execution. Formulate strategies and plans for research.
- Implement analysis tools and tracking systems that enables the product to hit revenue targets.
- Work collaboratively with teams to identify product gap analysis and implement appropriate sales strategies to maximize sales team success.
- Leads research for new products, products enhancements, and product redesign. Evaluates the potential of products in design.
- Be visible and available for customers and partners, and occasional industry/social events or conferences.
- Work cross-functionally and collaboratively to ensure Operations, Marketing, Customer Success, Engineering, Sales and Business Operations are aligned to support the product line goals. Work with the executive team as requested to respond to the needs of the business.
- Participates in in-field product assessment by attending departmental calls.
- Troubleshoot when necessary to optimize culture growth and address problems immediately.
- Write and update Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s)
- Organize data and develop detailed reports regarding the outcome of experiments in a timely manner
- Develop and manage budgets
- Live Conception Nurseries’ core values
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- UC Citizentship only due to immigration law
- 10+ years’ experience in agriculture and laboratory.
- 5 years’ experience in managing direct reports.
- Thrives in fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Proven experience developing training programs that address the research and development, industry trends, and the development needs of the R&D team; must be a strong mentor capable of getting the most out of your teams.
- Personality profile to fit into high-growth, entrepreneurial culture that requires teamwork and significant interaction with employees at all levels.
- Data and metrics driven with experience analyzing research and trends, anticipating and identifying opportunities, and developing insight at a strategic level.
- Knowledge of competency in plant tissue culture and biotechnologies
EDUCATION: Master’s degree or PHD in an agriculture related field, along with knowledge of sales/marketing.
- You are data and metrics driven with experience analyzing research and product trends, anticipating and identifying opportunities and developing insight at a strategic level.
- You have the ability to manage departmental change rapidly with the business and community needs.
- Excellent organizational, multi-taking and problem-solving skills.
- You possess an entrepreneurial spirit and have a passion for growing the business.
- You are a true team player; your colleagues love working with you.
- You can set operational targets and manage a cross-functional effort to achieve those targets.
- You motivate others; you communicate clearly; you inspire your coworkers.
- You deliver compelling presentations.
- You are way above average and only want to work at a place that is constantly raising the bar.
- You have a willingness to continually learn and grow.
Travel: Travel is 10% designed around business needs.